Why do children need foster care?
There are many different reasons why children and young people are in foster care. Sometimes it’s because of a family illness, relationship problems or a family breakdown.
Other children may have faced a situation where they needed to be protected and their where their welfare is endangered. Our foster carers come into children’s lives when they’re needed the most, and offer them the support they need to build a brighter future.
Whilst each of their stories and journeys will be different, every child will have faced some degree of trauma and separation from their family.
Feel like you can help bring a positive change to a child life?
more children come into care over
the course of 12 months
more foster families needed
across the UK every year
children living with foster
families across the UK
Is fostering right for you?
We know fostering is a life changing decision and often one that can not be made overnight as there are many factors to consider. When deciding, you must take into account the details we have mentioned. For help deciding if fostering is right for you check out our our FAQs below.
Do I get any breaks or holidays while fostering?
We do offer respite your supervising social worker can speak to you about what it entails.
What kind of support will I receive?
We wouldn’t expect anyone to foster without the right support, so when you foster with FCA Scotland you are not alone.
Become a foster carer with us and you have access to:
- Social Work Support– you will have a dedicated supervising social worker who is your main point of contact and will organise monthly meetings and support for you whenever you need it
- 24 / 7 support
- Training and development - We will prepare you to foster and keep developing your skills with an ongoing training programme featuring both face to face and online courses through our Learnative portal.
- Events and activities – we host a range of events and activities for all the family to enjoy.
- Online portal – Join our online community with our Carer Portal The Exchange just for FCA Scotland foster carers. It gives you free and instant access to information and advice right when you need it – day or night, 365 days a year. Plus access to a range of discounts to some major retailers and online stores.
- Fostering Network membership - useful and practical benefits, including insurance, legal protection, medical and stress advice helplines, as well as a foster care magazine.
Who can apply to become a foster carer?
Anyone can apply to foster with us. We welcome foster carers from all walks of life; no matter what your gender, age, race or sexual orientation. We do have criteria though:
- You need a spare room
- You need to be over 21
- You need to have British Citizenship or permanent leave to stay in the UK
Do I need any special qualifications or experience to foster?
No, we will give you all the training you need together with ongoing development and support.
Got some more questions?
Find out the answers here.
Make a difference that lasts a lifetime
Improving the lives for all our children and young people is at the heart of everything we do here at FCA Scotland. Fostering transforms the lives of those in your care as well as yours too. We celebrate diversity and believe we can all achieve more by working together and building stronger communities to make changes that last a lifetime.
Learn new skills
Whatever your experience, we provide you with all the support and training you need to be a great foster carer. In addition to our standard training program, we also run specialist and advanced training. The more you learn, the more opportunities you have to develop your skill set as a foster carer.
Be part of our community
We know that fostering can be hard work, so we want you to have as much fun as possible too. That is why we organise lots of activities for all of our fostering families. Our events and activities are the perfect opportunity to make new friends or meet up with familiar ones for some support or just a catch up. We want our fostering community to stay connected.
From the very start of your fostering journey you will receive support from our experienced team of professionals, including qualified social workers.
You’ll receive a generous fostering payment for every week a child or young person is in your care, designed to reward your professionalism and commitment.
Speak to our team
Whether you’re ready to start your journey or just want to chat to an expert, we're here to help.